The Tea Pot that is Life: The Importance of Self-Care

There is nothing more important than making sure y o u are well supported and taken care of. This life is draining and it takes massive amounts of energy to constantly show up, give, share, learn, grow and repeat. . . We are constantly filling up our life “tea pot” with stressors… to the point where it commonly overflows before we get a chance to empty and enjoy it.

⁣We are here to advocate that you N E E D to empty this pot regularly. Think of something you L O V E doing, what L I G H T S you up? That first thought that comes to mind is a form of self-care, something that you can do to empty the “tea pot.” Do those things M O R E ! ⁣

⁣Empty that tea pot before it overflows by watering your garden of light. Give yourself the space to flourish and live to the best of your ability.

Here are 10 ways you can practice self-care each and every day!

1. Nourish yourself with healthy foods! Choose whole foods free of preservatives and added sugars. Think one ingredient foods like vegetables, nuts, seeds, fruits, proteins, healthy fats and supportive grains. The more simple and pure the easier it is for your body to digest. Less energy will be used to process your food, you’ll be consuming more nutrients and your body will be less inflamed conserving more energy to do what you love!

2. Prioritize rest! We N E E D over 7 hours of sleep. Ideally 7-9 hours of restful sleep. I don’t care who you are… studies show that less than 1% of the population can actually function without negative effects on 6hrs or less of sleep. Odds are you are within the 99% and need 7-9 hours to avoid cellular damage. Do yourself a favour and try your best to think of sleep just like you do water and food. All of your healing is done while you sleep. Create a calming bedtime routine to help relax you and wind down from the day. We love drinking a glass of holy basil tea while we journal!

3. Hydrate. Aim for at least half of your body weight (lbs to oz) of high quality water everyday to ensure everything moves smoothly. This helps energize you and flushes out toxins that accumulate in your “tea pot” on the daily!

4. Move your body. Find a movement practice that you E N J O Y. Don’t put major pressure on yourself, just try to get that body flowing!

5. Surround yourself with genuine people. Your tribe influences your vibe. Set boundaries and get clear about who you want to invest your energy in! People can either knock your “tea pot” over and spill boiling water on your lap or they can be someone to enjoy the tea with.

6. Practice gratitude. Reflect on 3 things that you’re grateful for each day. This mindset shift allows you to recognize everything you have in the moment and worry less about what you want. This simple mental shift can change the course of your day and you’ll find yourself saying, “wow I’m lucky to be alive”.

7. Meditate. You’ve heard this one before.. try it out, we dare you! It’s magic. Breath work combined with quiet time combined with inner resolution is ferry dust to your brain. It can empty that “tea pot” instantly. Try starting your morning with 5 minutes of meditation before getting out of bed. We love guided meditations from the app Insight Timer, choose a topic and listen to the inspiration flood in.

8. Journal. All those thoughts that pop up during the day and take up space… write them down and move on. Then you can come back to them at a more supportive time! Journalling and planning help you get organized and plan your day efficiently. They allow you to recognize where you are spending the most energy and shift into a more supportive routine. We love our wellness side-kick, a wellness journal created specifically for self-care!

9. Get in tune with your bodies’ needs. Listen. Truly embody how you’re feeling and ask yourself, “what is my body telling me?” It’s smarter than you think. We just need to consciously take the time to listen and respond. By taking a breath and focusing on what you’re feeling and thinking you’ll be able to connect the dots and learn what serves you and what doesn’t.

10. Do M O R E of the things that set your soul on fire! We love this one. Make a list of things that light you up, write down a Self-Care Menu and pull from this list every day. These are things that help fuel you and effectively keep your “tea pot” from overflowing! Practice self-care D A I L Y!